Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Pictures for previous post

With Thulasi's cousin, Kalyanam, on that old bridge near Echi's house that many of you will recall--where you have to switch buses. I thought the Kaveri looked good--pretty clean, with lots of fish trying to jump upstream. Kalyanam is a very pleasant man, and he has excellent English. He removed himself gracefully from the scene when the unpleasantness that Dad mentions was going on.

Echi on her porch. When we were leaving she kissed me firmly on both cheeks, which I found surprising, as Dad's family is not demonstrative. The rest of the visit she seemed to find me not very useful, and kept returning to the fact that I have no Tamil, until I felt compeled to break out the little I do have.

The man who looks after Echi. She called him (in English) her "personal protection".

2 comments:

Kamala! said...

I really like the picture of the four of you-Kalyani looks like a giant person!

Kamala! said...

I don't mean fat, of course, tall.