Friday, August 26, 2011

i live in Georgia now

A week ago today Adam and I started driving down here (he in his van, me in my Camry). It took us about 3 full days. The first day we hit heavy rain around New Jersey and ended up staying in Delaware rather than our intended destination, Baltimore. The New Jersey turnpike was terrible. I was gripping the steering wheel for dear life. But we survived! 12 hours of driving that first day, and the second day what we thought would be a 6 hour day turned into 12 hours. We stayed in Benson, North Carolina that night. The next day we stopped at a bizarre Disney World-esque place, South of the Border, SC. Anyone else been there? Terrible food, super weird. Arrived in Macon about 7pm. My house is very cute, with a huge outside back porch, big backyard, big kitchen, 3 bedrooms. My room was already furnished with a queen sized bed, dresser, desk and TV with cable! Pretty sweet. My roommates are both very very sweet and have really strong southern accents. One is a med student, one is law.

Macon itself is not very nice. There's a lot of crime, apparently, and not a lot going on. Just Burger Kings and gas stations. I've found one nice area with a couple good grocery stores.

Campus is really nice (voted one of the top 4 most beautiful campuses by Princeton Review and I suppose well deserved). But kind of giant and I got super lost the first day. I'm taking Intro to Literary Studies, Fiction Writing, American Romanticism, and Intro to Global Health (thought I was signing up for nuitrition but this is more like health care policies and stuff...). No classes on Fridays so I'm in Savannah visiting Adam. It's about a 2.5 hour drive, and very easy. Today we went to a diner called Clary's with his roommate. In Forrest Gump, it is the diner where Jenny waitresses.

Well, it's not Senegal but it does seem very far from home!

10 comments:

elm said...

Delighted to hear about your life in Macon Georgia!! The house sounds ideal for you. Your classes sound interesting, and possibly hard- papers to write? Good for you Eliza!

Popop said...

Everything sounds interesting and challenging! Keep the blog coming. Are there hotels in Macon?

K2 said...

It's hard to find something nice to say about New Jersey. Your schedule sound good--I bet the health policy will be a bit of a break. That's a lot of lit! Post a picture of your yard.

Kamala! said...

Thanks for posting this, Eliza. I sent the link to Lexington Grandparents and Jane and Keith.

EPC said...

the yard is not very pretty -- the grass is all dead haha. but it's quite big. the back porch is really nice, and there's kind of an indoor deck thing on the side. it's way too hot to sit outside at this point. temps have been about 100 consistently. it's a little rainy in savannah but i think the bad hurricane weather will bypass us. it'll be nice in the "winter" months to sit out there.

as for classes, yes the health one will definitely be a break. i haven't even had the fiction class yet (it meets mondays only), but i'm in the middle of writing a "weekly essay" for intro to lit.

the american romanticism class should be fun since we're concentrating a lot of transcendentalists. my prof. said we may took a pontoon boat ride on some river and pretend it's walden pond. hopefully next class i'll get a chance to tell her how close i actually lived to walden pond.

yes many hotels, and a hilton basically ON campus so it would be nice to get some visitors! i am an hour from atlanta.

Kamala! said...

I will plan a visit, but I want to see Savannah. When is parents' weekend?

Kamala! said...

So, Sara and Chan-how are you feeling aboutg Irene? I'm not too worried here at all.

Brenda said...

Great to read your blog, Eliza.

Sara said...

Isn't Macon where the Allman Bros. formed? Very cool. The hurricane is bearing down on us with the ferocity of an incensed chipmunk. I am not exaggerating when I say that even one minute outdoors will get you damp. We'll see what happens tomorrow.
Chandran

EPC said...

yes in fact the allman brothers house is literally a 2 minute drive from me and it is now a museum.

not sure about parent's weekend....