Saturday, December 8, 2007

New From Lexington

I went to see Padma speak at a symposium at Harvard's Sackler Museum today-she was an excellent speaker, funny, thought provoking and knowledgable. It was an interesting topic-whether South Indian temples were originally painted or were they monochromatic as they are now and how would that change our appreciation of their beauty if they were actually meant to be colorful (like modern Madurai which tend sto strike us as garish) instead of an understated sandstone that we find so tasteful and lovely.
Sophie was there with a friend from college. I got to chat with Padma a bit during a coffee break. It was an enjoyable experience. She mentioned that Elissa had some good news so I checked her blog and there is an update from Dec. 2, detailing her surgery ordeal-you should check it out. The good news, Padma says, is that on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the worst, she had originally been told she was a 7, but are now saying a 4 and that she may not need IV Chemo at least for now.
The other news is that I found out from speaking to an admissions couselor that Eliza got into one of the colleges she applied to-Long Island University, CW Post Campus. It looks like a lovely campus, although Long Island is not her first choice for living. It is too soon to hear from the other schools, but we are happy and proud to hear this good news.
Cynthia's knee replacement went well and she is recovering well at home. Jim and I are off to Tortola Thursday, back on Sunday-am really looking forward to it.

6 comments:

elm said...

I am glad you were able to hear Padma speak and that it was good. I guess that is not surprising.

I'm glad that Eliza has what sounds like a good school choice.

I am feeling the familiar xmas rush, over the top feeling. Oh well. I think I must like it.

K2 said...

Congratulations Eliza!

Sara said...

Congratulations Eliza. It might be nice to be at a college with an actual campus.

Popop said...

ELIZA:
Congratulations! I looked at the website of the LIU campus. It looks great. The Art Museum appears to be especially appealing. I also looked at the English faculty and it is impressive. One of them has written several books on Shakespeare and I am sure you will be able to collaborate with him based on your extensive experience with Shakespeare, YST and Stratford.
Popop

Popop said...

ELIZA:
Congratulations! I looked at the website of the LIU campus. It looks great. The Art Museum appears to be especially appealing. I also looked at the English faculty and it is impressive. One of them has written several books on Shakespeare and I am sure you will be able to collaborate with him based on your extensive experience with Shakespeare, YST and Stratford.
Popop

K2 said...

Dad's first comment.