Thursday, November 21, 2013

Some Birkenfeld Family History




-->
 The Birkenfeld family, Jagertow c. 1910
 A few months ago I was contacted by a distant cousin through Facebook, Paul Birkenfeld. He is the grandson of my uncle Fritz, one of my mother’s brothers. He wanted to know some family history that I knew. I told him I had gone to see the old family home in Pomerania, now part of Poland, in 1991. I said I would send photos when I found them. Yesterday I did, and posted them on Facebook. This got me thinking about the house, and if it was still standing. I not only found the house as it looks today but all sorts of history. Apparently Carl Birkenfeld got the land, 900 acres, in 1892. It is just outside the town of Polczyn. His brother Hans was the local magistrate, or whatever Ortsbauernführer means. The big house is now either gone or collapsed.
1990/91




Jagertow front
Originally uploaded by sarapicassa
found on Polish Wikipedia

7 comments:

elm said...

Wow! Fascinating Sara!!

K2 said...

That is so sad! What a beautiful house it was.

irishroseart said...

MESSAGE FOR CHANDRAN:

Hi, my name is Kathleen Bacom. I was Googling my Great Grandfather's name, and I ran across your post on November 14, 2011, about your Great-Great-Grandparents John James Bacom and Julia Rice Bacom; they were my Great-Grandparents. I have never run across a post before from anyone who is definitively from the same family.

I posted on June 20, 2013, under the Verona comments under the pseudoname of Irish about this. Sorry about being so obtuse, but I was very hesitant to use my real name. I'm posting here because it seems to be the most current.

I am in contact with Frank's (my Great-Uncle) grandson who lives in California. I would love to share information about the Bacoms with you. You can reach me at kbacom@aol.com.

I don't know any other way to reach Chandran and would really appreciate it if someone could pass this message on to him since this appears to be a family blog.

I have my fingers crossed and wish all of you a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Kathleen Bacom

P.S. Sorry that beautiful family home is no more.

K2 said...

Hi Kathleen,
As far as I can tell, here is how we are related: James and Julia's son Francis was the father of Russell Francis Bacom who changed his name to Hewitt and married my maternal grandmother. That would also be Chandran's maternal grandmother, as we are siblings. So our mother (whose middle name is Kathleen) is the grandchild of Francis Bacom and the great-grandchild of James and Julia.

Which Bacom do you descend from, and how?

Unknown said...

Hi, my Name is Lutz Bertram. I'm living in Nortorf in Germany. My g-grandfather was Carl Birkenfeld, the Brother of Fritz an Max. Nice to See the pictures of jagertow and from my Family from pomerania.
Best regards Lutz Bertram

Sara said...

Dear Lutz,
So glad you commented on this post. My grandfather was Max. I would be curious to know more about my German family.
Sara Caiola Madhu
New York, NY

Unknown said...

Dear Sara,
it's very nice, to hear from you. At first my best wishes
for you and your Family. I'm very interested of the family-History in the USA for the New Year.

I have Many Informations about Jagertow and Some pictures of the Family. In 2000 we went to Jagertow.

Is it possible, to Write You by E-Mail? I have Problems with the Blog...
My Adresse is: Lutzbertram@aol.com

Please excuse my english - that's Not Reals good..

Best regards from Nortorf in North-Germany


Lutz