Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Rome III

Today the weather continued beautiful. It's sunny and about 55. We spent hours wandering in the forum, then went to the Capitoline museum. Ashwani rested a bit, and I went to the Crypta Balbi museum. This was a theater complex built in 37 bc. It's beneath a busy street, and you'd hardly know it was there. A lady I asked for directions didn't, even though it was less than a block from her shop. Anyway, most of what's been excavated is a monumental public latrine. A hundred-seater, or close. There were also a lot of exhibits of evey day items from later periods. I enjoyed the needles.
Today we had our first bad meal near the Campodoglio. Last night we went to a fish place recommended by the front desk. We didn't
Order right, but it was good. I had fried baby squid. We've had some surprisingly good food in touristy spots. Yesterday at lunch near the collosuem I had a grilled head of radicchio that was fabulous.
Jo, if they came out, post the pictures Daddy and I sent from the museum.

6 comments:

K2 said...

We just returned from Santa Maria in Trastevere. Stunning. Then we ran into the Wolfs, very surprising. They have a papal audience for Ash Wed tomorrow.

Jo rocks said...

As in Jean and Frank?

K2 said...

And Frankie, Madeline, and Jeanie. They have an official Papal audience tomorrow.

Sarah I said...

Is Catholicism waning in Italy, as it is in the US?

K2 said...

Sarah, today is Ash Wednesday, and I saw no ashes, whereas in Rochester I would have. Maybe the practice is different here.

Sara said...

I remember when I first came to the US I was surprised at how visible the ashes looked. In Italy they put allot less.