Friday, November 18, 2011

More genealogy, sorry

I’m stopping with the family tree for a while. I’m sick, and the fever dreams about chasing a family line last night were horrible. I’ll figure out a way to blog the tree later. Some things in the meantime:

Bacom and Colvin did not leave behind much by way of info or descendents. The well-documented lines (McKinney & Cantonwine) have been followed to England, Ireland, the highlands, the Netherlands, the Rhineland and Lalaland. The furthest back a US born line went (with a shred of credibility- if that isn’t a problem for you, I direct your attention to Grimsditch & “Boleyn” below, or John Hambledon of UK (1570-?), who seems to be a forbear of the great Hamiltons) was Nicholas Ferris, born in Henrico, VA in 1596.

We have a Hezekiah Moseby (1695-1745), next to whom Ezekial Jenkins (1695-1750)(both of Virginia, by the way- pretty much every path that reaches the 1700s leads there, to PA or NJ) sounds pretty ordinary.

One of the English Riddles is Robert Bollen of Norfolk. If that is a corruption of Boleyn, might some of us be in line with the throne? Must check.

Francis Grimsditch! This remarkable woman, b. 1621 in Cripplegate (!), London, d. 1716 in Port Royal, Bermuda (!) is my 9x great-grandmama. The fact that she gave birth to our ancestor Abigail Bloomfield at the age of 9 only makes me admire her more, and nothing is going to make me take her away from that tree. I think Grimsditch should become the default middle name for the DOJ clan. For females, I mean, males get Hezekiah.

Penelope Van Princis (1622-1732), Robert Henry Riddle’s 5XG-G, gives us a drop of Dutch blood.

Antrim, Derry, Mayo... I’m trying to get the Irish county names of the Galey ancestors together, just in case it can pad out that “Oh, I have ancestors from Ireland” conversational path.

Bettie Mckinney, Russell’s mom, gives us some interesting names as well as some German bllod on that side. Her mother is a Bowser, her 2xG-G is a Ditto, and her maternal G-G is a Dull. No Grimsditch, but a fine collection. The Bowsers are from Rheinland-Pfalz.


tl;dr: I could not find a Tom Riddle, but I did find a picture of him.

10 comments:

Kamala! said...

Jonathan's last name is Bollen.

Chandran said...

I thought he looked familiar.

elm said...

You guys are great, I laugh! Thank you. Deb, when told of some of this at History Club, said you gotta go looking for records in all these towns. Well, I guess Alexander, NY may be a start, in the new year maybe.
I think however, we may go to the grave yard this week end. I will take pics.

Kamala! said...

I'm thinking of having another child just to name her Suda. However, it will have to be adoption, obvs. To prevent me from making this huge life error, one of the next generation must promise to name their daughter Susannah, known as Suda.

Kamala! said...

Me again. Am watching The Deer Hunter as they dance the troika at the wedding. @sibs-do you remeber folk dancing at U of R as fondly as I do? David Valentine, the tunnels, the couple we called "Ma and Pa".

elm said...

I am sorry you are sick Chan, flu? Anyone else? Hope you get well mighty fast~ Take care.

Brenda said...

I'm sorry, too, that you are not feeling well, Chan. Get well soon.

Chandran said...

Thanks, it's just a cold. For some reason, I think a couple of times a year about the folk dancing guy with the hand that bent at a right angle to his arm, and how he would wipe his brow with that hand.

K2 said...

I remember that guy, too. I was always afraid I'd hurt his hand, but he could really swing you around with it. Thalidomide? They're still active, you know, Rochester folk dance. We've planned to go more than once.

Also, finally found Elmer, both at McAllister pen and the army. His name was William Elmer, that's why.

Why are no Cantonwines buried in Waitsburg?

Popop said...

It is time someone sets down the history of the ancestors using a lot of "begats". Could become a best seller after the Bible.