Friday, March 2, 2012

Bert



Bert and her beautiful friend.
Bert minus all but one tail feather.

What is you all's opinion about Geese? I was at Higbies yesterday buying feed and consulting on fence possibilities. A costumer there said he solved his fox problem with geese. He has not lost a chicken since he got geese. The fencing idea is just not going to work, they would not be happy with another pen, really. They love pecking and running around their various 'pastures'. Geese can be mean, their poop is big. Evidently fox do not like them. Oh, the guy with the suggestion said, when asked, that he has 2 dogs, and the fox was not bothered by them. I did not ask what kind of dogs.

9 comments:

Kamala! said...

Is Bert still in the bathroom? I, myself, am anti-goose. I am frightened by them.

K2 said...

I'm afraid of geese also. But maybe if there are no ganders?

elm said...

No, Bert is with her kin. She is a strong bird and chastises the pecking. I think she is all right.

Ah, are the ganders the mean geese? Could Ilze help with that arrangement?

It is the poop that is coloring my positive view.

Kamala! said...

Do geese and chickens get along? You do need to contact Ilze.

elm said...

I don't know much about geese yet, however, I do know they would not live in the hen house. The geese do not roost, I imagine a large dog house arrangement.

K2 said...

Online does not agree that geese will work. HOWEVER, llamas, yes.

Brenda said...

We have heard that llamas protect sheep.

Anonymous said...

looks like a small farm is in your future

Sara said...

I have read that Corgis herd geese. I myself find geese scary. I think a herding dog is your best bet, after all that's their job.