Monday, March 23, 2009

Friends from Colorado and other news

Teddy, Chiara and Josephine

Our friends from Colorado are in town with her parents. They arrived Saturday, that evening they all came over for dinner. It was very nice. It’s amazing how Chiara and Teddy still get along so well. The twins really enjoy both Teddy and Johnny’s company. Last night we went out for dinner together and were joined by Annette and her kids. I had to go over to PS 6 this morning. I don’t know if you are all up to date on my NY public school saga. In brief there are too many kids enrolling and not enough spots. So to enroll your child in your district school has become a three-step process. We are at the second step. As I received only one letter from the school, saying that my child has been given a spot, I went to the school today to see about the other child. It turns out that Laura has a place and they have not decided yet on Nicky because of the services he receives. Still this is better then some children who simply did not get a spot in their own district school. I have a meeting with the special education people next Tuesday, wish me luck.

6 comments:

K2 said...

That seems just totally incorrect. A district public school is supposed to serve the children of the district. Then on top of that to discriminate against kids based on their extra needs?! It's unamerican.

EPC said...

good luck!

Kamala! said...

Remeber, Sara, the squeaky whell gets the grease. Good luck.

Sara said...

My friend Allison advice ( she works in a PS) is to be polite but firm and maybe a little bit difficult. So I will stop in on Wednesday with his IEP and ask more questions.

Popop said...

Does the school have a legal right to deny admission to one of their taxpaying residents? Is that worth pursuing?

bren said...

I don't know what's going on in NY, but it sounds illegal to me.