Saturday, March 13, 2010

This is good-

Hello Everyone!
Last Thursday (March 11) evening there was an RPO concert. Before the concert started, I was in the men's room washing my hands and I see Wallace Shawn! (For the younger set, they may know him from Gossip Girls, Clueless and Princess Bride). I say to him: Are you Wallace Shawn (I think I may have said "Wally"). He says: Yes, I am. I tell him that I am honored to meet him in person. I shake his hands and tell him that I have seen most of his movies and what is he doing in Rochester? His brother Allen Shawn is a music professor at Bennington and has composed a violin concerto especially for RPO's concert-mistress Juliana Athayde. Thursday was its world premiere. He starts leaving but when he reaches the door, he stops, holds the door open for me and starts asking me questions: whether I am a resident of Rochester and so on. I tell him about the Little Theatre's first movie was "My Dinner with Andre", which we saw twice. He also says that he attended the rehearsal that afternoon and Juliana was fantastic. I mention that she is only 29. Then we part company. I told Mom about it when I got to my seat and felt that we should invite him for dinner next evening. We did not, of course, but I would have been really tempted if I had run into him during the intermission.

Popop

3 comments:

suzanne said...

I bet "My Dinner with Wally" would have been a good show.

noah is the best said...

Not necessarily for children, but The Onion's take on my former boss/Congressman from NY-29:

http://www.theonion.com/content/amvo/massa_insinuates_he_was_forced_out

Sara said...

What is your take?