Tuesday, March 11, 2014

York 3

Today we went to the minster, lunch, and the Jorvik Viking center. Sorry, centre. The minster is very beautiful, and we spent a long time there. Since there is a major renovation of one of the main windows, there is an exhibit showing how the glass is being restored. That was really interesting, because the actual windows are at eye level. I never saw it up close before. Also, there is a great exhibit in the basement showing the Roman ruins underneath.
Richard II at the minster


Viking drinking horn

Jorvik was good, too. The little ride seemed like it would be cheesy, but they've done a great job, and it's kind of  creepy instead. My favorite part was the skeletons. They had arrows showing all the wounds.
I'm watching a show about poorly trained ordinary dogs doing tricks. Indy the black lab has fetched a tennis ball in a pool.
Minster from the street

Constantine
Museum gardens
Museum gardens


The weather has been unreal. About sixty and sunny. The daffodils are out.  The B&B is very nice; perfect breakfast, but I'm not sure about it for your April trip, because the stairs are high, narrow, not very even, and carpeted. But the location, hosts, and food might be worth it.
Hannah and I are thinking of a Tapas place for dinner.

Now Indy is finding tennis balls in piles of leaves.

7 comments:

Kamala! said...

Not loving the stairs at the B and B-let us know of other [places close by.

Susanna Chhibber said...

I read "minster" as minister and was confused as to why you were commenting on his beauty.

Hannah said...

The York Minister is a very grand and beautiful man.

Sara said...

I did too!
Who's going in April?

Hey Susi Chiara tells me you may be coming to visit. Would love to see you just give me the dates.

Jo rocks said...

I read it as minister too.

Sarah I said...

I read it correctly as 'minster,' but have no idea what a minster is. I'm about to Google minster....

Sounds like a really interesting trip Kalyani! I'd love to see the Roman ruins.

Popop said...

Sara: Janice and I along with the Isons are going to York on April 24. Staying there four days.