Sunday, April 27, 2008

College College College

Finally, after months and months of constant college conversations and stress about getting everything in, I have decided to go to URI and sent in my deposit.

I think the head of the engineering department at syracuse put it best, "All the programs are accredited and good, it's a matter of choosing the one you feel comfortable in." That's not exactly what he said, but you get the idea. RIT is of course a god among men in terms of engineering programs, but I'm not sure, at all, that I'm even going to stick to engineering and I'd feel a huge need to commit to it at RIT.

Syracuse was not my bag. I don't like its location or campus very much, its classrooms weren't the best either. UVM was pretty good and my big decision was basically URI or UVM, but I would much rather be near a big city (Providence/Boston), plus I think I know someone that goes to URI, maybe. Not to mention the scholarship.

My plan right now in terms of what I'll study is a program call the IEP, international engineering program. It's a 5 year program where you major in a language and any field of engineering, in your 4th or 5th year you do a paid internship abroad for 6 months (I'll go to Spain or Latin America).

Now I just wish senior year was over. Seriously.

6 comments:

elm said...

Congratulations Sam, I am sorry you are not coming to Rochester, but I certainly respect your decision. URI sounds like a good program. I am proud of you.

bren said...

Sounds very exciting, Sam.

Sara said...

Congratulations!

Popop said...

Sam: You seem to have made a very mature decision and I am very proud of you (as are all of us). Your reservations about RIT are realistic; it would have most probably locked you up in one program. So, even though I would have enjoyed regular meetings with you (such as weekly lunch dates), I think you have made a wise decision. I am sure you will do very well at URI (should that change to U-R-me if preceded by a preposition?). Buona fortuna.

suzanne said...

Sounds like a great program, congrats!

K2 said...

Yeah, ok Sam. We get it. Can I visit you on your abroad year? Can I pick a location?