Sunday, September 11, 2011

Classes

Hi everybody! It has been 10 days since Mom and Dad abandoned me here. I guess I have to forgive them because I was the one who chose this school in the first place, but that's whole other story.
So Thursday was my first day of classes. This week we only had to attend lectures, so I didn't have to go to labs and seminars. On Thursday I have calculus in the morning (8:30 Gah) and a bio seminar in the afternoon. So naturally I only went to the calc class because of the previous text written. I got up at 7 am to shower and stuff then at 7:30 am I left to go to breakfast. The campus was mostly deserted because who in their right mind would choose to have a class that early in the morning, aside from me. I didn't know what to do for breakfast mostly because I was feeling sick with fear and I had a feeling I might not of been able to keep down what I ate. So of course I went to Starbucks. Now those of you who know me really well know that I do not drink a lot of coffee. Well actually I don't drink any coffee because it's nasty, sort of like what ever that women found in the wood shed in Cold Comfort Farm. So instead of that I was thinking about having a hot chocolate. But when I got up there that is not what came out of my mouth. The previous night I had been texting with Susi and I was telling her that I was thinking about trying something caffeinated to wake me up for class, but I wanted it to be warm because it was starting to cool down. So she suggested a latte of some sort. Now my roommate, Marissa, also suggested this. When I woke up that morning I had lost my nerve so I was just gonna have hot chocolate, which is when I said a vanilla latte instead. I have no idea what you're thinking, but I was thinking crap what if I hate and end up not drinking it and then falling asleep in class. And it's not like I could go back and change it because who drinks hot chocolate in college. I have an image to maintain you know. Just kidding, but it still would have been weird. I also got pumpkin bread because it's my favorite. I took my latte and pumpkin bread and sat outside. I took a sip of my latte and it wasn't too bad. My pumpkin bread, however, had raisons in it. I tried to eat around them for awhile but I gave up and threw it out. I did finish my vanilla latte though. Back to classes. I was feeling rather nervous about them so I called home around 7:45 am. I talked to Mom and Dad. I don't really remember what we talked about, but I think it made me feel better. I asked Mom if going to class 30 minutes early would be a little too weird. She said I should wait until about 8:15. I went anyway. I was pleased to find that I was not the only one there early. There were about 10 other people there. When class started I was starting to feel better. In class we mostly she mostly talked about the course outline. When we started to review material I was pleased to find that I knew what she was talking about. Well mostly. The she I refered to is my prof. I can't remember her name which I guess doesn't really matter because she is getting married in a month anyway.
The next class I had was Italian. Which was on Friday morning. It was a 9:30 class, which would be totally fine under normal circumstances, but I stayed up watching Troy until 2 in the morning with some people in my hall. I had another latte in the morning. There were about 125 people in my class which my prof said was more than she has ever taught before. She's American. That may not seem like a big deal to you guys, but being surrounded by Canadians all day can be tiring. And not to mention being one of a few Americans in my class I kind of stand out. I guess thinking that people are talking about looney tune when they say looney is not correct. Anyway, when I found she was from Boston and went to BU and Cornell I wanted to introduce myself. When I told that I was from the US and I was excited to meet another American, she threw her head back and laughed. I have only ever seen people do that in movies, never in person. Besides the fact that she is American I really liked her. I have a feeling that Italian will prolly be one of my favorite classes.
Later that day I had chem. Chem was the class I was most worried about. I still am. Mostly because I did terrible in that class in high school. The prof was wearing a shirt that had hydrogen on it, like from the periodic table. And he was wearing chucks. He was a little bit intimidating, but he seemed nice. I have noticed that the profs here want you to succeed. They don't want us to fail, which is nice. They all seem really nice and some are even funny. The chem class didn't really get rid of my worry. I mean since we didn't start learning anything I don't know if I remember anything.
I have only 3 of my 5 classes and so far they seem ok. Saturday I still had to wake up early because I had decided to go to Niagara Falls with the other international students. I love Niagara Falls but this wasn't as fun as my friend Heather and I had anticipated. I won't go into too much detail because it was a long day. We left at 9 am and got back at 9 pm. I slept in until noon today. I literally just woke up and started posting this. If you would to know more feel free to email me. I don't feel like writing anymore. I am now going to watch Doctor Who online.


13 comments:

Jo rocks said...

I realize that this post is a little long and maybe a little off topic and disorganized. I was tired.

Popop said...

Jo: That was a really good report and fun to read. So, keep it up and don't try to abridge it. Will see you in two weeks.

Jo rocks said...

I didn't really abridge it. It's just that I can't remember it well enough to write it down.

Kamala! said...

Hi Jo! I'm enjoying your blogs very much. Hang in there (insert an image of a poor kitten hanging from something}
PS-The Sir Ian autograph is MINE.

K2 said...

You know, Kam, he actually chatted with them.

Hannah said...

OMG he did! He asked us what we thought of the performance and where we were sitting and if we could see alright. Then he told us that the writer of the play had written about 40 other plays and that you could watch him perform this one on youtube. Then Jessica asked if many of his plays were translated into English, because he's Italian, and Sir Ian said not many. It was so exciting and overwhelming.

Kamala! said...

Han-Did you tell him you didn't like the play? How tall is he?

Sara said...

Dear Jo, thanks for posting. Glad you are taking Italian.

Jo rocks said...

Aunt Sara,
I'll probably be calling you with questions.
Jo

Sara said...

anytime

Kamala! said...

I haven't been able to comment on flickr, so I wanted to say that I loved your last batch of pictures, Sara-the one of Chan w/ all the kids and Gus is beautiful.

Brenda said...

Good post, Jo. Keep it up!

Jo rocks said...

I'll post again after somebody else does. There would be too many words if I posted next.