Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Hiya

Ok so the title is a little bit more cheerful than reality, but I didn't know what else to put. I thought it was time I posted about school. I would like to say that Canada sucks so mom and dad will come get, but it's not all bad. I like my roommate. She gives off that quiet awesome vibe, like me! She enjoys Harry Potter so she's good in my book. The rest of the house seems a little sketchy. Their main priority is drinking and partying it seems like. It's ok because we can't really hear them.
So far I've been pretty busy. I went to this orientation for international students where I met a girl from Rochester New York. No joke. She is real nice. After the international thing mom and dad and Susi came and moved me into my room. I have a queen size bed, a bathroom, a tv and a mini fridge. It kind of rocks. I've been trying to go to as many events as I can because the busier I am the less homesick I feel. I went on a lot of campus tours. I feel pretty confident about my whereabouts now. I even went to a yoga class held outside in the early morning. The grass was a little wet, but whatever.
Classes haven't started yet, but I have been preparing myself for them. I was super nervous when I first got here, but I have been talking to people and they have eased my nervousness. We have been attending group meetings with people who are in the same program and talking to an upper year student in the same field. I also went to this meet the profs thing, which they described as speed dating. It was actually nice. All of the Profs were really nice and gave me good advice on how to succeed in my first year. It is also reassuring to know that I am not the only one feeling nervous about classes. Classes start on the 8th. Which is the same day I can get my bus pass.
I am going to dedicate a whole paragraph to the food places because I think they deserve it. The food here is hard to describe. Whenever I describe the food at the U of R I would use words like suckish or crappy, but those words would never ever be used to describe the food here at Guelph. You hear upper year students saying how good the food is here to new students and future students, what you wouldn't believe is that it's actually true. All the meals I've had here have been real great. My favorite place so far has been the restaurant called The Bullring. Which was actually a bullring back in the day. With like real bulls and stuff. Ask mom and Susi they know.
I'll post again after classes start. I must go now for there seems to be drunks in denial out in the hall. There was also some pounding on our door.

8 comments:

Sara said...

Dear Jo,
Thanks for posting. Glad you are settling in at your school. Liking your roommate is a pig plus.
Love from us all.

elm said...

A cliff hanger....who was pounding on your door? Wow, nice about the food. Really glad you like your room mate. Excellent that you went to yoga, meet the profs etc. Keep up the good work. We miss you! lots of love, Grandma

Oh, my piano lesson is now on Wed. So my Roc trips are reduced by one day as I will go over to GEH for my vol. 'job'.

Brenda said...

Good post, Jo. Good food is a big plus. So is having a roommate that you like. I hope that your classes go well. Love from the west coast.

Susanna Chhibber said...

I'm glad that I'm the only name you capitalized in that paragraph. It shows how important I am to you.

Jo rocks said...

Whatever susi.

EPC said...

you are doing better than i am haha! i didn't go on a single campus tour and i'm always lost....

lol @ susi's comment

Kamala! said...

It's all good, Jo. I love the professor speed dating thing. What a good idea!

K2 said...

Eliza,
How have the classes you've found been? Are your professors good?
AK