Thursday, June 14, 2007

My Trip to the Bahamas












So, I just got back from the Eleuthera yesterday after 101 days of school. It was long and tough and whatnot and it wasnt what I think anyone would expect. But anyways I'll start at the beginning, with a daily schedule perhaps.

6:00 (more like 6:25)-Wake up
6:30-morning circle around the flag, sing the Bahamian national anthem, announcements, split up into excercise
6:30-7:30 Excercise, I was on run track, but there was swim track too, but most of the time we would do excercise as a group, like run swims, high rock run/jump offs, psychos etc.
7:30-8:15 chores/personal space, clean the dorm, do some dishes, make my bed then shower and change
8:15 breakfast, the best meal of the day for us, they gave us pancakes and french toast and I had grits for the first time...then many, many more times
9:15-12:15 Classes
12:15 lunch bleh
1:15-4:15 classes
4:15-6:00 free time, well usually, sometimes manual labor or cleaning for various reasons
6:00-7:15 Dinner circle then dinner
7:15-10:00 Study hours
10:00-10:30 get ready for bed then lights out

So thats what our days looked like when we had normal academics which was 8 weeks I think, a few weeks in the beginning then a 5 week academic stretch, then one more after parents weekend, then finals. But on Wednesdays and Fridays we had scuba, legacy projects (manual labor that other semesters will remember us for), junkanoo, advisory time and community outreach where we hung out with our local buddys at the primary school or middle school. and we had Sundays off until 6:00.

But we also had a 3-day and 8-day kayak trips, 8-day was tough, and my 2 day solo during 8-day was filled with sleep and sunburns, but i came out with a nice tan and probably a few less pounds. Then down island trip was a 3 day road trip eating everywhere on Eleuthera and exploring the settlements, it was a lot of fun, I was with my advisor Jill and my 8-day kayak group for it.

I'm missing a lot, but im so used to this stuff that I feel like you guys already understand it. So i'll just go through some pictures and explain them I guess.


Me and my best friend eva Danny, at advisory dinner, drinking the only milkshake I had in 3 months

Parents weekend!

A few minutes after a little 13 mile run

8-Day kayak group during a lunch stop


Sandbar for morning exercise one of the first days

B-Ball game in Deep Creek, I'm in the top right with Marlee and Danny

High Rock


Overhead picture of campus from someones flight on the way in

Raymond, me, Chris Geno, Danny, Taylor (the intern) and Sam Rosen

Chillin on the beach during 8-day

More later when I'm in the mood, I have some blog reading to do

5 comments:

EPC said...

why are you so good looking!??!

for some reason this reminded me a lot of camp... perhaps the manual labor on time off thing? except your school is harder. and we don't get grits. uhh where was i going with this? i don't know. glad you are back!!!

Jo rocks said...

Welcome back Sammy me boy!! Susi says so alsot. Pity you won't visit us this summer samuel, cause you have to go to camp,although I gotta say it didn't remind me of camp cause I was scared outta my mind.
Jo rocks
Silly rabbit says Welcome back also and disagrees,trix are not only for kids!!

K2 said...

Sam, Did you do any diving? Where were the other kids from? Were they nice?

K2 said...

Also, thanks for the info. And it's hard to tell from the picture how high is high rock. Do you jump from it? What did you do for your legacy project? After you get some sleep and food I hope you'll give us another long entry.

Kamala! said...

I'll answerr for Sam since he hasn't done so. There were 48 kids 1/2 boys, 1/2 girls. They were from all over the staates and one from Columbia, a couple from the Bahamas. Sam's friend, Danny (in the pictures) lives in the city of San Francisco. He also had a good friend who lives in Brooklyn and one from Nantucket. He had to get certified in diving , which waas boring and they did some dives. They do jump off High Rock, and on Parent's Weekend so did many of the parents (including Jim, but not me). They run 2 miles there, jump off, swim, and then run back. Not sure about the legacy thing.